Saturday, January 24, 2009

Crockpot recipe of the week

I usually cook with my crockpot 1-3 times per week. I decided that each week I will test and add a new crockpot recipe for readers to try. I will also rate it so if it's not good you won't have to waste your time!

Don't be afraid to cook with a crockpot if you work all day. I used to plug mine in with a Christmas light timer set to go on at enough time to be done cooking when I walked in the door from work. It always turned out. And crockpots are made to cook all day, they are not a fire hazard. It's the easiest way to have dinner ready when you get home! I like to plug crockpots whenever I can. They are my favorite appliance. :)

Anyway, this week we tried this (and as always my edits will be added):

Slow Cooker Oriental Chicken

1 broiler/fryer chicken cut up ( I used boneless chicken thighs)
2 TBS vegetable oil (I did this totally different. I did not cook the chicken beforehand. I just threw the thighs in with the sauce. This is what I usually do with chicken and pork. I have never had a problem and it always turns out really tender. Ok, back to the recipe...)
1/3 cup soy sauce (low sodium here)
2 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS water
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon ground ginger
slivered almond
I also added a few splashes of orange juice

If you choose, brown the chicken with the oil. Or just throw it in raw. Mix the sauce separately and top the chicken. Cook on low 4-5 hours. Before serving, top with slivered almonds.

We really liked this. I served it over instant brown rice with a side of steamed veggies. Drew liked it quite a bit. If Drew likes something I cook, it must be really good because he is picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment